Saturday, November 5, 2011

How can I stop my lips getting dry and flaky?

As mentioned in one of my previous blog post, I have dry and flaky lips. This happens to me ever since I'm a teen. Thing gets worst after I came to Melbourne. Weather to be blamed.

I suspect that I've Eczema on lips after reading several articles which I search with Google :( My family have the history. My father has it, my sister too. I guess I'm inherited as well. Family traits, unavoidable. My dad used to say that Eczema has no cure. It can't be stop, even it is, it will come back whenever it wants. (I hope I'm not having Eczema.)


Another saying is Exfoliative Cheilitis, which is defined as an inflammation of the lip
This inflammation is chronic and usually occurs in conjunction with several of the following:

Excessively dry lips
Cracking of the lips
Peeling of the lips
Skin discoloration
Burning sensations
Itching of the lips
Flaking of the skin of the lips
Excessive swelling
General discomfort
(Gosh... I experienced all of them before!)

HELP!!!



Some steps found from the internet to avoid this condition:

Steps

FYI, this is not my lips.
Help me... I don't want chapped lips.
Please tell me if you have any personal remedies which work well on chapped lips. *I would really appreciate your effort.
  1. 1
    Use lip balm such as Chap Stick to promote healing and prevention of chapped lips. This is almost vital in the process of moisturizing your lips.
  2. 2
    Another viewpoint, and what many in the medical field feel is the reason for "Chap Stick Addiction" is this: Lip balms like Chap Stick lubricate but they do not hydrate. This is a critical difference, as people apply ChapStick constantly to dehydrated lips becuase it makes them feel slick and smooth, which they take to mean moistureized. But lip balms do not hydrate. It actually seals moisture out so that lips cannot absorb moisture from the air, the water we drink or from hydrating formulas applied to lips. We wax a car and it feels shiny and smooth, but what does the wax do? It seals water out -- rolls off like off a ducks back. Better bet is to use a product ( such as products with shea,emu butter, Vitamin E oil, etc high on ingredient list) which are designed to introduce moisture back into the lips.
  3. 3
    Ensure your body is not deficient in B vitamins, iron or essential fatty acids. These deficiencies can cause scaling of lips and cracking of lip corners. Take a multivitamin/mineral supplement after consultation with your physician.
  4. 4
    Hydrate your body by drinking plenty of water. Dehydration can cause dryness of lips. Increase your water intake during winter to keep your lips looking fresh. You can also humidify the rooms to deal with winter dryness.
  5. 5
    Rule out allergy to lipstick dyes.
  6. 6
    If in spite of water intake your lips seem dehydrated, apply cool wet cloth to hydrate lips. Also try to seal in the moisture with a lip balm. Apply lip balm every hour or two to treat dry lips and to keep them healthy. Use balm with spf of at least 16 to save your lips from sun damage.
  7. 7
    Don't lick your lips, it will cause more chapping. Licking lips doesn't moisturize them.
  8. 8
    Lip lickers also tend to be lip biters and pickers. Biting lips removes their protective covering which causes further drying. Tell a friend to stop you every time you pick your lips.
  9. 9
    Use a soft toothbrush to softly buff your lips to remove the deposit of dead cells that will cause more drying and flaking.
  10. 10
    Creamy lipsticks can act like balms and prevent your lips from chapping. Avoid using lipsticks that can dry out your lips.
  11. 11
    Ordinary Vaseline works wonders. It prevents sun blisters as well if applied before venturing into the sun.


Another saying is Exfoliative Cheilitis is defined as an inflammation of the lip. 

This inflammation is chronic and usually occurs in conjunction with several of the following:

Excessively dry lips
Cracking of the lips
Peeling of the lips
Skin discoloration
Burning sensations
Itching of the lips
Flaking of the skin of the lips
Excessive swelling
General discomfort


My attempt:

  • have multivitamin, which consist of Vitamin B2 for a month; and
  • change the Darlie toothpaste, which consists of peppermint to another one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment